Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Un-Media Takes Over?

You know the media is in trouble when it creates polls about newspeople and includes Jon Stewart as a viable successor to Walter Cronkite. Perhaps people gave the funniest answer, as it was an internet poll after all (I think). But that Time thought to include him is suggestive--it suggests some contempt for the regular newsfolk since they are supposed to be doing what Cronkite did. The Daily Show really exists to criticize the media, which it does quite well.

Of course, whom am I to judge? I stopped watching TV news a long time ago, and only get my TV news clips from .... The Daily Show and the Colbert Report. I still would not consider Jon Stewart to be a news anchorman, but his show definitely is the best out there for shining a critical light on a lot of stories. And his appearance on CNN is still echo-ing far and wide

No comments: