Here we go:
First, favorite groups/acts of the decade (in order):
- Weezer: Nice range of songs, always catchy, mostly funny.
- My Chemical Romance: Almost always nicely bombastic, great played loud.
- Bowling for Soup: Always silly, relates nicely to my life (1985, Ohio, etc.)
- Simple Plan: Just fun whining that hits me in the right spots.
- Panic at the Disco! Different, change of pace silliness
- Beyoncé. Just good songs, good videos consistently and a good sense of humor as well.
- Stalker by Goldfinger--has a great beat, funniest lyrics. Video has the most literal application of the song.
- Hooray for Beer by Bowling for Soup. No video yet, but a fun song.
- Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne . Great video interpretation (Rachel Hunter!). Just shows how wonderfully misguided teenage boys are about their choices since Stacy was interested in the boy and she was not unattractive.
- Sweep the Leg by No More Kings. Wonderful vision of what happened to the boys from Karate Kid.
- Pop Goes My Heart, Hugh Grant, the definitive parody (along with Robin Sparkles, Let's Go to the Mall) of the 1980's pop video. I owe all my dance moves to this video
- Re: Your Brains, Jonathan Coulton. Live! Or Undead!
- Rock Me Sexy Jesus from Hamlet 2. Wonderfully inappropriate.
- I Want an Alien for Christmas, Fountains of Wayne
Fourth, the most obviously terrific soundtrack: Avenue Q.
Fifth, the top songs of the decade (aside from those already listed in the various categories above, not in order).
- Big Casino, Jimmy Eat World
- The Kids Aren't Alright, Offspring
- MakeDamnSure, Taking Back Sunday
- Complicated, Avril Lavigne
- Red Flag, Billy Talent
- Hate Me, Blue October
- Have a Nice Day, Bon Jovi
- Long Road to Ruin, Foo Fighters
- Take me Out, Franz Ferdinand
- Give Up the Grudge, Gob (Lots of F's, so not safe for work/kids)
- Hips Don't Lie, Shakira and gang
- Animal I Have Become, Three Days Grace
- I Kissed a Girl, Kate Perry. Catchy and Funny.
Your thoughts? Probably reveals more about me and my shallow tastes than anything else.