Sunday, April 4, 2010

Favorite Ipad reviews thus far

Check out the slate summary.

And Doctorow is still harsher, enlisting an extremely un-pretty image from the sci-fi writer William Gibson: "The model of interaction with the iPad is to be a 'consumer,' what William Gibson memorably described as 'something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth ... no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote.' "
 Yow.  Of course, I have to delight in such reviews since I am too cheap to buy one even though I would love me some apps.  APPS!  But it seems to be the consensus that iPads are great for consumption, not so good for creation.  And I do love to consume, but typing on it looks painful.  My current laptop is getting a bit old, but until Apple invests in an iPad that can direct my thoughts into the machine with no need for fingers to input, I will be buying another laptop and not an iPad.

No comments: