Monday, May 3, 2010

Talking to Conspiracy Theorists? [Updated]

Why bother?  It was Barney Frank who said: "Trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table."

Tonight at the University of Quebec at Montreal (UQAM), two 9/11 deniers are speaking.  There is no point to engage these folks in debate since it is like trying to prove or disprove the existence of god.  Conspiracy theorists like to pick away at the facts and create doubt, but they have no doubt about their views.  Their standards of truth move here and there, depending on their needs.

The focus of my media appearance today (CBC TV) was on my 9/11 experience, my view of the conventional 9/11 story as fact, and on the appropriateness of universities hosting conspiracy theorists.  My take is: if you are willing to host holocaust deniers or folks who deny that the US put Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (and those who followed them) onto the moon or Ann Coulter, then these guys are just as acceptable.  The key really here is: what role is the university playing here?  As mere renter of space?  As endorser of these conspiracy theorists?  As facilitator of open exchange and debate?

After I was done with the interview, the reporter asked me what he should ask one of the two nutcases conspiracy speakers, and I asked him to ask them why they might be racist for thinking that Arabs cannot be capable of planning such a complicated attack?

[UPDATE]: They showed too much of my wrinkled, baggy jeans (I changed into a nice shirt and blazer), but otherwise it looked ok.  They used somewhat different stuff in the 5 and 6 o'clock shows, but used the same basic line in both where I conflate 9/11 deniers with Holocaust denies, folks who deny the moon landings happened and stuff like that.  Given the Munger-recommendations I posted recently, I think I did, ummm ahhhh, ok.  You can see for yourself (at 19 minutes or so)

No comments: