Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tennis Anyone?

I watched far more tennis as a kid than I have since.  I was, predictably, a big fan of Chris Evert.  So, I looked forward to the new 30 for 30 ESPN doc on her rivalry/friendship with Martina Navratilova. It really was a blast to see the old footage, not just the hairstyles that have come and gone, but to watch some fun tennis and remember crushing on Chris.  I didn't hate Martina for being a lesbian and one of the first athletes to be out of the closet.  I hated her for beating Chris Evert.  The doc was really interesting to see how competitive both were and yet how much they relied on each other during most of their rivalry.  I had forgotten that Chris had dominated Martina early, but remembered Martina's later reign. 

I don't watch much tennis these days.  Men's tennis is pretty boring with few long rallies.  Women's tennis may be good to watch, but I have not found it compelling.  I do think a rivalry like Chris/Martina would get my eyes on the screen again.

No comments: