- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part I: My review is here. It took out the draggiest parts of the book, kept most of the fun scenes, added a few really great touches, and made the movie theater sniff a great deal at the end.
- Scotty Pilgrim: I just want a t-shirt from the Vegan Academy. Just a heap of fun. Now I need to read the comic book a bit to see how well the movie got the book.
- Kick-ass: Compelling take on the dream of being a super-hero sans skills. This and Defendor (with Woody Harrelson) show that being a hero is a very tough gig.
- Easy A: Teen trash movie of the year. Although the irony is that there was little sex and heaps of fake/non-sex. I just loved the premise and seeing Emma Stone rock a Scarlet A. Best use of a great book since Ten Things I Hate About You?
- Toy Story 3: Best ending of a trilogy since the Matrix? Ok, we can do better than that. Best ending of a trilogy since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Oh, they made a fourth Indiana Jones movie? Ok, best ending of a trilogy since Return of the Jedi. How about that? Woody or Dobby for the most tears jerked in a semi-kids movie?
- How to Train Your Dragon: In any other year, this would have been the best animated "sort of for kids but also for adults" movie, but TS3 takes that cake. Just a fun, fun ride.
- Hot Tub Time Machine: Adult trash movie of the year. Great to get John Cusack flashing back to the mid-1980s when his career started. And I don't include this hear because the future Mrs. Don Draper is top-less. Really. Just one of the funniest movies of the year.
- She's Out of My League. Jay Baruchel as a TSA employee, a "5" or "6" getting a "10" makes us like TSA folks. That is, until we get groped.
- Despicable Me: A villain with a big heart after three orphaned girls enter his life. Sweet, funny, nice take on super-villainy, including nepotism at
Lehman BrothersBank of Evil.
- Inception: I enjoyed it greatly, did a great job of ramping up the tension. But does not re-play that great, at least to me. Rented it last week for my daughter, and found spots boring instead of tense since I knew what was going to happen next.
- I forgot to mention Avatar. Hmm, what does that say? Well, whenever the expert in warfare decides to have a front attack by the insurgents against the high tech folks, I always have to give a lower grade.
Worst Movie of the Year--that I Saw: MacGruber.
Movie Most Different from the Book: Green Zone. "Adapted" from Imperial Life in the Emerald City is a great book about the failures of the Occupation of Iraq. Green Zone was a fun but entirely unrealistic movie about the search for WMD and the failure to find them.
Wish I had Seen: Piranha 3d, Tangled, Red, Survival of the Dead, Devil, The Town, Megamind, Buried, Social Network, the Kids are Alright, Love & Other Drugs, Hereafter. Most of these came out late this year so I will be seeing them on DVD in the spring. Survival of the Dead will be for the weekend my wife is busy--she is not as big a fan of the Zombie movies.
Movie on my DVR That I am Looking Forward to the Most: Restrepo
Movies I am Most Glad I Missed: Grown Ups, Eat Pray Love
I am open to argument. What did I miss or over/under-value?