For the academic pentathlon, we add grading and an endless meeting.
For the academic decathlon, we have the following ten activities:
- Teaching a class;
- Proofing an article;
- Writing a recommendation;
- Grading some papers;
- Attending an apparently endless meeting (it has to end, otherwise the rest of the competition is moot);
- Reviewing an article for a journal;
- Holding office hours;
- Responding to a media request (which could mean saying no);
- Revising a grant proposal;
- Attending a university event (such as a model UN, a presentation, a ceremony, etc.)
Not a bad way to try to explain our unexplainable job to friends and family who just don't get what we do.