Friday, February 3, 2012

Told You So!

Jeff Simpson is complaining about the challenges of innovation when it comes to pharmaceuticals.  If only there were folks out there doing research on behalf of the public rather than just for private interest.  Oh, that's right: university professors do more than teach--they do research, often providing heaps of knowledge that might actually be called, dare I say it, innovation.

I cannot help but notice when a columnist condemns profs for being too much into their research then gripes about innovation and why the private actors, just as drug companies, fall short.  It is almost as if he does not read his own stuff and think through the contradictions.  Profs should just teach, not research.  Oh damn, private companies do research but not for the public good.  Who could possibly do that? Oh, that's right, professors.  Ooops.

So, I am enjoying a small victory lap in my office, as Simpson may or may not realize what a fool he can be about innovation.  Yep, a fool. I don't think he is a hypocrite.  I just don't think he has done any ..... RESEARCH on the topic. 

Of course, I also find it easier to write rather than research.  That is what blogs are for, right?

No comments: